Friday, April 8, 2011

Free Online Computer Apps Review

For this week’s activity, I tried a few of the recommended online applications.  In the Office Suites category, I looked at Google Docs and ThinkFree.  We already use Google Docs quite a bit at my school, so I am fairly familiar with how to use it.  We use it primarily as a means of online discussion.  For example, my principle will create a document with some sort of school related topic.  He then sends us a link and then we respond directly on the document.  We also use it for PLC work and for really anything that requires convenient excess to a shared document.  The nice thing about Google Docs is that it’s part of the Goolge package, so if you’re already a user on Google, it’s right there to use.  I wasn’t a big fan of ThinkFree, mostly because it wouldn’t work on my machine.  I was able to register and got to the site, but it kept getting stuck while trying to load up a new document.  I got annoyed and gave up.  Overall, I like the idea of having access to an online office suite.  It has many applications and can be useful in a lot of educational settings.  It could potentially save a district money, however I worry that if you totally replace purchased software, can you still work offline?  If you have any sort of Internet trouble (as my district often does) then you could run into serious problems if you can’t access your work.
    For Image Editing, I looked at Sumo Paint.  I really like this program, and already have some ideas for how to use it in the classroom.  I’ve been fooling around with a similar purchased software called SketchPro for my Macbook.  I was thinking about buying it for my entire classroom, but think I might hold off after seeing Sumo Paint.  It becomes difficult to introduce new software into a classroom, especially when you have no budget for it and you have to be concerned with issues like site licensing, etc.  After fooling around a bit, this program seems like a good, simple way to introduce using computer software as an artistic tool to a group of novice high school students.  I’m not sure how completely feature rich it is yet, but from what I’ve seen, it will certainly do the trick.  At least until my students out grow it (which I’m sure they will!)

No comments:

Post a Comment